Posted to uk.d-i-y
RW[_4_] RW[_4_] is offline

Default Jawdropper review FYI.

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...

I change a lot of taps, very popular job in handyman land. Getting to the
tap connectors & backnuts is a constant problem and with 'designer' & mini
corner sinks it seems to be getting harder.

I've got several so called basin wrenches which claim to fit tap
connectors
& back nuts, but don't - they can't because tap connectors & backnuts are
different sizes.

The self adjusting basin wrenches do work, but especially under a corner
sink there is rarely enough room to get much of a turn.

I've looked at the Armeg Jaw Dropper wrench set for a while, but the
price -
£40 ish - made my jaw drop! Maybe thats where they got the name?

Had a job on new years eve to change basin & bath taps in a poorly
maintained & very old house. Thinking it could be a bit of an
embuggerance
job I decided to bite the bullet & buy a Jaw Dropper set. Present to self
&
I could always take it back if it wasn't any good.

I'm keeping it! After one use you would now have to prise it from my dead
cold fingers.

The ads aren't that clear on how it really works, the 'more pictures'
feature on the Axminster site show the details fairly well.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/user_sear...ers-649972.htm

First of all, you get two separate wrenches, one for the basin & one for
the
bath. Each wrench is double ended, one hexagon fits the tap connector &
one
fits the backnut. Under each hex end is a sliding jaw which isn't
hexagonal, but round so it fits the pipe.

To undo a tap connector you have the round jaw locked up against the
hexagonal jaw & it acts as a guide by sliding up the pipe until the hex
jaw
locates on the tap connector. You can actually do this without being able
to see the joint.

To undo the back nut the round jaw is slid out of the way leaving a very
small profile hex jaw which would fit in the smallest corner basin space.

Side handle means you can get a lot of welly on reluctant connectors or
back
nuts.

So - it does exactly what it says on the tin. Only cons are the price.
It
comes in a moulded case with a stubby screwdriver to adjust the rounded
jaw.
The case just takes up space & I already have screwdrivers, not including
those would knock maybe a £5 off the price?

If you change a lot of taps its well worth the money, its certainly going
make my life a lot easier. Possibly a bit expensive for occasional DIY
use
unless you have a large project on.

You'll like this then on Ebay
280298808239