Posted to uk.d-i-y
Alang Alang is offline

Default Roofs

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 13:04:40 -0000, "John"

On 2009-01-04, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Tearing down and rebuilding a home on a plot there seems much more
common than it is here, and it's probably much cheaper than it would
be here.

They're called "scrapers". You buy the house for the plot it's standing
on,
scrape the old house off with a bulldozer and build a new house.

--
"Please try to understand, the one you call Messiah is a lie."
[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org dot uk]

They seem to be less sentimental about the structure - more concerned with
the inside.

Having seen industrial steel framed building being constructed in few days,
I can't understand why the UK doesn't adopt some of the principles. Steel
frame, Insulated large panels, etc.

Did you see that TV programme recently of estate being built in USA? Started
with a factory at the centre with craneage - houses built inside the factory
and then moved out on bogies to the pre laid footings. No working in the
cold and wet. Houses dry from the outset.

There is an estate of WW2 prefab houses in the area I grew up that are
still standing. The LA housing dept refurbished them a few years ago
instead of knocking them down. Proves prefab building methods can
work.