Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Amateur-built homes faling down

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
"RESIDENTS of a model housing estate bankrolled by Hollywood
celebrities and hand-built by Jimmy Carter, the former US president,
are complaining that it is falling apart.

"Fairway Oaks was built on northern Florida wasteland by 10,000
volunteers, including Carter, in a record 17-day "blitz" organized
by the charity Habitat for Humanity.

"Eight years later it is better known for cockroaches, mildew and
mysterious skin rashes."

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5439388.ece

I don't see how volunteers could be responsible for the
cockroaches...

It would be funny if it was not so sad. I often wonder how well
built the houses are on Extreme Makeover. It may be possible to build
a house in 7 days, but that does not mean it is smart to do so. It
takes time to install plumbing systems, etc, no matter how many
people.
10,000 volunteers is just to many to manage over 17 days.

Heh!

I was once invited to invest in a sand pit. The promoter said there would
not be a proft, but there would be a huge tax benefits. Here's how the
scheme worked:

1. As sand was sold from the sand pit, investors had a tangible asset that
could be depreciated (the sand).
2. When the sand was exhausted, investors now had a big, honkin' hole in the
ground. The company could charge folks to dump stuff in the hole (concrete,
tree stumps, etc.). This asset (the hole) could now be depreciated as the
asset was used up by people dumping stuff.
3. When the hole was almost filled, the site would be covered with topsoil
and sold to a developer as a low-cost housing site.

I passed and invested my money in swamp reclamation - displaced alligators
don't sue.