Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Mobil 1 oil and generator

On Jan 3, 8:39*pm, Erma1ina wrote:
Rich wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 2:54 pm, Erma1ina wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:

What are the opinions of using the Mobil 1 5w30 in a small (5 kw) home
generator ?

I have a Honda EU2000i. Break in using dino oil -- I used Castrol GTX
10w30. After break in, I've been using AMSOIL 100 Percent Synthetic
10W-30. Shortly before I got the genny (about 1.5 years ago), I did a
bit of web research and made the decision based on that. I don't know if
anything has changed (especially Mobil 1 vs Amsoil) since then.

Mobil has the $ to pay the best chemists $ can buy, Amsoil is about
marketing.

This site says something a little different:

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic...rms_mobil1.htm

Yep.

And here's the data, published by an unaffiliated source, that let's the
Amsoil president make those claims:

http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0304...nthetic_oils/- Hide quoted text -

Those number are not up to date for one, that data is not the whole
story, and does not cover new formulations on M1 or their 2 offerings
of synthetic. I have neighbors in auto and synthetic racing oil sales
that know amsoil, what they use is mobil 1 in their car. I have seen
bearing lock tests at my home from my friend, of all oils and Royal
purple won, but this guy says Mobil one is still overall better and
sold Royal Purple. Racing is different. A most superior oil is Mobil
1, 0-30. Im not at all sying Amsoil is bad or inferior but these
folks sell it and own cars I dream about, their hobby and life is
cars, one is Chicagos auto columnist. I guess I would use Amsiol also
if I was establised as using it but I am switching to 0-30 M1, I just
bought a few cases for cars.