Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Venting Dual Hot Water Heaters

On Jan 3, 8:26*pm, Newton wrote:
On Jan 3, 9:20*pm, " wrote:

On Jan 3, 5:19 pm, Newton wrote:

On Jan 3, 4:40 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

On Jan 3, 1:06?pm, Newton wrote:

I'm looking at replacing my 17-year-old 75-gal Hot Water Heater with
two 50 gallon units.

The current one vents into the chimney by way of galvanized ductwork.

What is the recommended way to vent the dual heater setup?
I am concerned that if one heater goes off, exhaust gas from the other
one might find its way back into the house by traveling backwards thru
the ductwork of the heater that is off.

AFAIK, two appliances are not allowed on one chimney. That would include
two of the same type. .

What kind of heat do you have? If you have a hot water boiler, consider
adding an indirect fired water heater. My 40 gallon has a first hour rating
of over 230 gallons. You can go with a direct vent model, such as this onehttp://www.ho****er.com/lit/spec/res_gas/AOSRG45101.pdf
It will give you 164 gallons first hour. Two of them if you really need
that 320 gallons.

This one is larger but has a lower first hour ratinghttp://www.ho****er.com/lit/spec/res_gas/AOSRG45700.pdf

Before you make a final decision, look over the offerings available and you
may find you can get more output from a good single unithttp://www.ho****er.com/lit/spec/r-gas.html

Note that on the web page (left side) there is a link to dsireusa.org Check
it out as there may be some rebates or state money to help you buy a more
efficient unit.

It's Newt, the origninal poster ----

My heat is gas, forced hot air; completely separate from hot water
system.

OK - You've sold me on abandoning dual HWH solution.
Will go with single HWH unit.

It would still be easiest for me to use the chimney for venting.
I also favor non-power venting to the chimney so I am not dependent on
electricity for hot water.
Back in 1991, I was without power for 11 days (ice storm) and only the
availability of hot water made living in the cold house tolerable.

If I wanted to stick with this method, could your recommend a specific
AO Smith unit for me?

Most intensive hot water use for us is to fill a Jacuzzi (seldom).
Most common high demand use is fifteen minute showers.

If I have to, I will vent to outside. Current location of HWH is in
middle of house, so I need to route exhaust pipe to suitable exterior
wall.

I thank you all for you help on this.

Newt.- Hide quoted text -

How many BTUs is existing tank? High Output ones are 75,000 BTU,
common tanks 34,000 BTUs.

I have a high output 50 gallon, which is no longer made.

Home Depot and lowes both sell by special order 75 gallon 75,000 BTU
tanks.

Get some friends to help get it in basement *and old one out- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for info about special orders at Lowes and Home Depot.
I did not know this.
Also thanks for info about BTU's. *I did not know this either.

I will go to "big boxes" Monday to see what they can offer me.

Thanks again.- Hide quoted text -

Shop online and compare at www.energystar.gov for facts, you wont
get the truth from HD. AO Smith, Rheem are better companies with
inovation and commercial quality if you want it, like 4x6" scale
cleanout panels, condensing. Shop EF to save