Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Backup Sump-Pump Problem

On Jan 3, 8:03*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 3, 6:52 pm, ransley wrote:

On Jan 3, 12:08 pm, wrote:

All,

When testing my battery powered backup sump pump a few weeks ago, I
noticed it wasn't pumping any water (it was making noise like it was
trying to). I disconnected and then re-connected the pipe and it
seemed to start working again. Now a few weeks later, I checked it
and had the same problem, and again it was resolved by disconnecting
and re-connecting the pipe.

The battery is only a couple years old and the water levels look fine..

Any idea what could be going on?

Thanks,
Dan

I would not trust those chargers without knowing it keeps a proper
voltage be testing it, I would think a properly charged battery should
last 20 + years. Unless the battery is kept at a minimum of 12.8 it
will sulfate and be ruined in a year.www.batteryuniversity.comhas
all sorts of battery info, that could be the real issue a weak
sulfated battery.

lead acid batteries have short lives, after a few years their capacity
drops a lot.

20 years? you are dreaming- Hide quoted text -

You are kidding, its basicly unused, no discharging just maintenance
charge, no vibration as you get in a car that destroys plates. Low
voltage kills them in a 6 months. He replaced one after 1.5 years,
that simple fact tells me its a charger issue. On solar instalations
you get better life than cars, vibration is a factor you have not
considered.