Posted to alt.home.repair
spud42 spud42 is offline

Default Mobil 1 oil and generator

I used AMSOIL After break in But used a quart had for my car
Think I'll use this next time
Formula 4-StrokeŽ 10W-40 Synthetic Scooter Oil

AMSOIL Formula 4-StrokeŽ 10W-40 Synthetic Scooter Oil (ASO)
is formulated specifically to meet the special needs of today's high-tech air- and water-cooled fourstroke motorized scooters, offering unsurpassed wear protection and friction reduction for longer equipment life and cooler operating temperatures.
exceptional shear stability ensures consistent viscosity protection
A special anti-corrosion additive package provides long-term protection during periods of inactivity and storage
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97) -38 (-36)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92) 232 (450)
Four Ball Wear test, Scar, mm 0.40

Spud

"Erma1ina" wrote in message ...
Erma1ina wrote:

Rich wrote:

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jan 3, 2:54 pm, Erma1ina wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:

What are the opinions of using the Mobil 1 5w30 in a small (5 kw) home
generator ?

I have a Honda EU2000i. Break in using dino oil -- I used Castrol GTX
10w30. After break in, I've been using AMSOIL 100 Percent Synthetic
10W-30. Shortly before I got the genny (about 1.5 years ago), I did a
bit of web research and made the decision based on that. I don't know if
anything has changed (especially Mobil 1 vs Amsoil) since then.

Mobil has the $ to pay the best chemists $ can buy, Amsoil is about
marketing.

This site says something a little different:

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic...rms_mobil1.htm

Yep.

And here's the data, published by an unaffiliated source, that let's the
Amsoil president make those claims:

http://www.vwtrendsweb.com/tech/0304vwt_synthetic_oils/

Oops! Wrong link.

The data in the above link was for "Amsoil(old)", here's the link that
contains data for both "old" and "new" Amsoil -- it's this one that
shows "Amsoil(new)" beating Mobil 1 in EVERY measure.

http://repairfaq.org/filipg/AUTO/F_oil_facts.html