Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Gas Furnace - what parts to stock for emergencies?

wrote:
What parts are good to keep on hand for a gas furnace? I have 2 Trane/
American Standard gas furnaces in the basement, about 7 years old. I
just replaced the pressure switches, and the ignitor on one of them
(went bad at 6 PM on New Year's Eve...). So today I am ordering a
spare ignitor, as it will fit either furnace and I DON'T want to pay
another $500 emergency call-out for such a simple part.
So what else should I keep on hand? I.e., what items have a fair-
chance of total failure, can be installed by a DIY-er, and aren't
extremely expensive? In my experience, pressure switches are pretty
inexpensive, but they can be cleaned / blown out, so you have time to
order a new one after they start going bad.

If you reply, I would greatly appreciate it if you could also respond
directly to my email address. Thanks in advance,
- Erik

Hi,
Ignitor for sure.