Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia[_3_] Jeff Wisnia[_3_] is offline

Default Higher flow solenoid for fridge water dispanser?

wrote:
I'm trying to increase the flow of water through the water dispenser
in my fridge door. I've narrowed the problem down to the solenoid at
the back of the fridge that only has 1/4" tubing ports on it. I
bypass it and the flow is really nice.

Does someone know of a 120VAC solenoid with 3/8" ports on it? I'll
need a part number or the make/model of the applicance it came from so
I can order one.

thx

Did you check to see if the present solenoid might have a spec of junk
inside it impeding the flow?

A few months ago I had a new Sears' fridge delivered and the "installer"
screwed up a rubber washer on the connection between my 1/4" copper
supply line and the plastic input line on the new fridge.

I wasn't home when that installation took place and SWMBO didn't test
the water system until after the guy left.

I figured if I started troubleshooting it myself I might screw up the
warranty so I asked for Sears' help and between myself and a more
competant tech we narrowed down the obstruction.

A chunk of that rubber washer ended up stuck inside the inlet port of
the solenoid valve, cutting the flow to barely a dribble. We removed
that obstruction with a pair of sharp pointed tweezers. Problem solved.

The water dispenser doesn't exactly "**** like a racehorse", but it's
fast enough for us.

Jeff

--