Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing: coupling question (photos)

On Jan 3, 4:24*pm, jim wrote:
On Jan 3, 4:22*pm, jim wrote:

On Jan 3, 3:39*pm, "Pat" wrote:

"Robert Barr" wrote in message

. ..

OK, here's an overview of the problem:

http://www.pbase.com/robertbarr/image/107748863

This is the result of two separate leaks over time. *It's a finished
basement bedroom, and was a pretty low priority, so it languished a bit.

Home was built around 1940, usually top-quality construction throughout -
with exceptions.

Here's the problem:

http://www.pbase.com/robertbarr/image/107748871

The brass tube heading upward is from the tub overflow. *There's a Tee in
there, with a pipe heading back to pick up the tub drain. *Note that the
framing lumber was relieved to make room for the plumbing.

As I noted, there was another leak which caused a lot of the white
discoloration. *That leak was repaired a long time ago. *This current
problem is the one I'm addressing, and it obviously begins at that Tee,
where the pipe heads downward toward the trap.

Here's a much better view of the bottom of that Tee: *(kinda large file)

http://www.pbase.com/robertbarr/image/107748935

Unless there's something really wrong with my eyesight, there's no
compression fitting on the lower outlet of that Tee! There's obviously one
on the upper joint (where there was plenty of room), but none on the
lower.

The pipe probably screws into the tee. *I think your problem here is 70
years of age. *Corrosion has done those parts in. *I would install a new tub
drain and trap replacing everything you see in the picture.- Hide quoted text -

Replace it with abs and get a 1 1/2 abs to 1 1/4or 1/2 brass fitting
which are made they are designed to compress around the pipe you have
if glued properly you should have no problem , I would consider
redoing the drain completly in abs as it is all 70 yrs old and probaly
paper thin in places- Hide quoted text -

*Besides the old drum trap you have is no longer made .- Hide quoted text -

The corrugated flexible coupling would tend to trap rough stuff, but
unless he has an unbelievably strange family, I wouldn't expect that
hair would build up appreciably on the inside of a corrugated coupling.