AL

Default Tips on buying a used surface grinder ?

I've wanted a used surface grinder for a long time and will be looking at a
35 year old Boyar Schultz model this weekend. Unfortunately I don't know
much about surface grinders. How do I tell if the spindle bearings are
worn? Assuming I'm able to turn it on, what kind of noises should I be
listening for? I imagine a worn spindle will not sound like an ice cube in
a garbage disposal. Is there some other way to measure bearing wear?

I've seen several grinders on ebay with teflon ways. Do they come from the
factory like this? Or is this an indication that the ball bearing or
dovetail ways wore out and were rebuilt with telfon?

Lastly, what is a hydraulic feed?

Anyone care to offer some advice?