Posted to uk.d-i-y
terry terry is offline

Default Attaching stair rail to newel post

On Jan 2, 4:50*pm, Matty F wrote:
On Jan 3, 5:42 am, Jules
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:04:59 -0800, Matty F wrote:
I'd use a chisel to make a 2"x2" hole in the newel. And put a screw
underneath the rail diagonally into the newel post.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortise_and_tenon

Hmm, I could probably get away with something like 1.5" x 1.5" - the
rail's a pretty intricate shape, so carving a mortise to get it to fit
as-is would be hard, but I could probably fashion a square tenon
protruding from the end of the rail.

Think a conventional screw would be strong enough, though? I expect
there'd be quite a bit of lateral load put on the joint every time
someone grabs the top of the newel as they head up the stairs. I think
there'd probably still be space for the lag-bolt though - and I did a
test with my piece of scrap newel and lock-nutted bolt and it seemed to go
in OK so long as I kept backing it off a little every few turns, so maybe
that's the best bet...

This is what I was proposing:http://i44.tinypic.com/rutb9h.jpg

however I have some rather large screws in my junkbox!- Hide quoted text -

There are also some pretty aggressive glues these days! Think about
those?

For example we took apart repaired and then glued and screwed the
framing of the front of an old 'truck camper' (sort of like caravan
unit that slides into back of a pickup truck). It was actually the
part that sticks out at the front of such a unit above the cab of the
vehicle and it contains a non opening window . They are notorious,
like the front of some caravans) for having rain driven into
interstices etc. and then developing rot! **

Then found had to take it apart (again)! The glue, which was only a
few days old, was so strong that in some cases it removed a layer of
wood from the surfaces of the adjoining pieces. Basically had to
'break' some pieces apart!

So in addition to some sort of 'mortise/tenon', gluing the surfaces
might be good idea. Just don't try to take it apart again; or expect
some sawing if you!