Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Home Depot vs. "Real whatever store"

On Dec 29 2008, 3:58*pm, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:
Our old wooden garage door is not in good shape. Saturday we went and
had a look at the Clopay doors at the local HD and got a price including
installation. In the course of conversation I said, "Why Home Depot?
You're not the only people who sell Clopay. According to the Clopay Web
site, company name here sells their doors too." HD guy says, "If you
buy from us, they're the people that do our installations anyway."

Today I went to the other store and got a significantly lower price
(including installation) for what is in all material respects the same
door but with a different model number -- and they don't use (because
they don't recommend) the EZ-Set spring system that can be adjusted with
a power drill.

So two conclusions:

1. Buying from HD -- and the same quite likely applies to Lowe's as well
-- doesn't necessarily mean that you get some dumb-ass lowest-bidder
installer rather than somebody who knows what (s)he is doing.

2. Buying from HD -- and the same quite likely applies to Lowe's as well
-- doesn't necessarily mean that you get the best price.

Perce

I think the only time in recent memory that the "real" store didn't
come through for me but HD did was the other day when I needed to make
my own knockout hole in an old shop light... and I realized that my
Unibit was in my desk drawer at work. None of the mom 'n' pops
stocked Unibits, but the HD did (not a Unibit(R) but the Greenlee
version thereof.) I paid through the nose for it though.

It was still worth the $36 not to have to stick my head in the office
that day though It was a work day, but I was on "vacation" - yes,
I was hanging lights in my laundry room while on my vacation...
(weeps)

The downside to the mom 'n' pops is very limited hours. Need to pick
up something on the way home from work? Saturday afternoon? Sunday?
Off to That Orange Colored Store...

nate