Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default The year we lose our TV signals

"dadiOH" wrote in message

If people want to buy a wide screen TV (or computer monitor), well
and good; I have no problem with that. What I *do* have a problem
with is the manufacturers selling them by the same old diagonal
measurement...people buy, say, a 32" widescreen to replace their old
27" and they think they are going to get a bigger picture. They
aren't. To get an image even the same size they would have to buy
one (in this example) almost 34".

I don't have a problem with new technology, but I do have a problem
with having it forced on me, such as DVD's vs VHS tapes. I much
prefer the VHS format, but you can't rent movies that way anymore, so
if you want to rent a movie you have to have a DVD player. No sooner
do you get that, then Blu-Ray starts, and on and on. At least the
VCR's were viable for many years, now every time you turn around,
something becomes so obsolete that it's no longer viable even while
it's still in good working order. This all happens in a very short
time these days.
I was just fine with Win98 for instance, but nothing supports it
anymore, so had to upgrade to Vista, which is OK, but certainly not
better IMO.
Cheri

Here's a tip though: The new copy protection in the brodcast signals is
NOT detected by the old VCRs, and they WILL copy those "protected"
movies. I just got thru testing an old one this week; an RCA model. So
at least those will still let you record a show while you're away from
home, which you can't do with a lot of them and the new recorders.