Posted to rec.woodworking
JohnD JohnD is offline

Default Lee Valley Shows its True Colo(u)rs

On Jan 2, 5:24*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Jan 2, 5:05*pm, JohnD wrote:

In a heated debate a few years ago, Rob Lee defended the company's
charging of much higher prices to Canadians due to unforseen shifts in
CDN-US exchange rates.

He said:

"We can either float prices daily and make the exchange rate work
exactly -
or fix prices and tolerate exchange differences, until we can correct
them -
which for us, is annually."

"Thanks for the clear and correct explanation - yes - we set our rates
in
June, and hold for a year"

I guess they hold the prices for a year if the exchange rate movements
are favourable to Lee Valley. *They have announced increases for
Canadian customers starting Jan 5 to offset the weaker Canadian
dollar. Too bad they didn't lower prices when the Canadian dollar went
up. * Heads they win, tails you lose.

John

And now Rob Lee is supposed to compromise the health of his fine
company to make 'you' happy?

Had Robin Lee been the 'cause' of the US dollar/Canadian dollar
problem, then I would also hold him responsible.

He owes it to his business to put it first. It is his business to do
as he seems fit so that all his employees can at least have a chance
at keeping their jobs. (Which may or may not be possible due to the
enormous economic mismanagement beyond our control.)

I 'applaud' your 'use' of irrelevant quotation marks for 'effect'.

I have merely pointed out an obvious inconsistency in Lee Valley's
stated policy when a currency move that went in their favor and the
opposite behavior when it did not. They are free to do what they
want, as a privately-held company. Not sure if raising prices,
against a stated policy, in this turd-bowl of an economy is the
smartest move, but I simply wanted to point out the lack of
consistency with former company statements.

Are you the unofficial Lee Valley apologist?