Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shops - Downturn (OT)

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 09:17:34 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I'd rather stores did check the goods, repack and resell. Most are
returned not really faulty. The goods are just as good,

Not on items I've bought "as new" but have been returns. A kettle that
leaked, the fact it was wet inside when I opened the "sealed" box should
have been a clue. Sound card that was horribly noisey and another persons
scribblings in the manual.

cowboy practice

and it results in lower retail prices as its one less expense for them.

Eh? The return will have had a refund paid. The new sale will just bring
in the same margin but with the added expense of staff member(s) taking it
back, issuing refund, checking, repacking, restocking on the EPOS system
etc.

Eh? It depends on the size and buying policies of the business, but
frequently they wont be returning bad stock to the supplier who either
sold it to them trade, exported, or auctioned. While it doesnt make
much sense to put in the labour required to test a low value sound
card, for some goods inspection and repack does make economic sense.

What I object to is being sold something at full price and "new" when it
it isn't. Bung it on a "Managers Special" shelf with a reduced price and
label saying why the item is there and I can make an informed decision to
buy that item knowing it is used, ex-display, missing box/manual/part or
WHY. Failing that there are plenty of companies about that sell "returns"
by the pallet load, sometimes checked sometimes not. It's called being
open and honest with your customers.

Well, I'm all for choice. Many people do choose dishonest suppliers.
Some bother to find out first, some don't. Realistically its not about
to go away.

NT