Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
Ann Ann is offline

Default The year we lose our TV signals

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 07:50:31 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"Robert" wrote in message
Welcome to 2009. The year we lose our TV signals. What a way to start
the year, knowing in another month and a half, we will lose our tv
reception, unless we subscribe to costly cable or satellite tv. Oh yea,
they tell us we can get convertors and even give us coupons worth $40
for the $50 and up boxes that DO NOT work in rural areas, because the
digital signals are under-powered for those in fringe areas.

Progress. At some point in technological life we have to move on and some
are going to be left behind. You can't buy leaded gas any more either.
You don't have to subscribe to cable, but you do need a digital TV. I
don't know how well that will work in your area compared to a box.

Buying a digital TV should make no difference with the reception part of
it. A 42" flat screen won't get any more stations, although retailers
would like us to believe that they do.

I have to wonder how many people will wake up and not have any TV at all
and not have a clue as to why. They've been talking about it every hour
for months but some will still say "no one told me"

Already, it may be too late to get a coupon in time. Rather than being
open ended, the funding is for a specific dollar amount. When all the
money is out there in the form of redeemable coupons, new applicants have
to wait for coupons to expire, unredeemed.