Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default The year we lose our TV signals

JohnR66 wrote:
"Robert" wrote in message
Welcome to 2009. The year we lose our TV signals. What a way to
start the year, knowing in another month and a half, we will lose our
tv reception, unless we subscribe to costly cable or satellite tv. Oh
yea, they tell us we can get convertors and even give us coupons worth
$40 for the $50 and up boxes that DO NOT work in rural areas, because
the digital signals are under-powered for those in fringe areas. Yea,
i know this first hand. I got my coupon, bought a $60 box for $20 and
the coupon, and while I used to get 7 channels (occasionally two
more), with the converter box, I get PBS. That's it. I can watch Mr.
Rogers, Sesame Street, Teletubbies, and all the cruddy english garbage
they show, but no local news, no weather reports, no Soaps (that psrt
is OK, I hate soaps)...... I'll just miss the local news and weather
reports, and once and awhile South Park..... Either way, even despite
most of the crappy tv programs, like American Idol, all the Crime
shows, Survivor, and the Springer Show, I will still miss the tv. On
the plus side I will no longer have to climb on the roof to fix my
antenna after a windstorm.....

Of course there is one good thing about 2009, we'll lose BUSH !!!!
A much welcomed loss.......

It looks like 2009 may end up being NEUTRAL. We lose an asshole
president and out tv signals.

Happy New Year

Robert

I suspect the only people who really should be ****ed are the ones who
already had a good quality, high mounted antenna and are having trouble
getting the signal. This should be very rare. Second are the people who will
have to upgrade their antenna, get a higher mast and upgraded feed line.
This can be costly if professionally installed.

My house resembles that second remark. :^(

I have satt, so it isn't urgent. But my satt local package doesn't carry
ALL the locals, and doesn't carry the secondary channels they are adding
with digital. Plus, knowing Murphy was an optimist, I always try to have
a backup for everything. Don't really wanna spring for a rotator, which
I would need to get all the signals in this fringe area, so trying to
devise a spot to put the mast where I can just reach out the window,
loosen a thumbscrew, and rotate the mast by hand, for the very
occasional times I need to point the other direction.

--
aem sends...