Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Should I replace blown in insulation when installing attic floor?

On Jan 2, 7:37*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
C & E wrote:

Any thoughts or ideas?

If anything you would be wanting to *add* insulation to the attice
which is the point of the greatest thermal loss. *My blown-in was
done by the previous owner and on top of the glass insulation. *Over
the past 25 years it has settled and I have rolled out new batts
perpendicular to the joists. Now, if I were in your situation and
wanted to create storage for light loads in my attic I would make 2x4
standoffs to a height just greater than the insulation that you have
or intend to put down in the future. *I would connect them with 2x4s
and top with 3/8" CD ply. *JAT

Excellent idea.

Yeah, except for the fact that in many attics, you don't have much
headroom to begin with and taking 4 inches just makes it less usable.