Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot vs. "Real whatever store"

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 15:11:52 -0500, "benick"
wrote:

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Dec 30, 11:23 am, wrote:
On Dec 30, 8:29 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

But it's OK with you if mom and pop give up their evenings and
weekends to stay open for you.

If they want to be a profitable business, they need to do what it
takes. By only being open during "business hours" they are FORCING a
lot of people to shop elsewhere even if they don't want to.

There's a big difference between "refusing" to change and being able
to afford staffing for evenings and weekends, along with the benefits
and other costs of doing business.

There's a difference in cost between being open 8AM to 5PM vs. being
open from 10AM to 7PM?

What staffing is there to afford? Mom and Pop work for free.

I'm tired of feeling stupid trying to explain what I want and
being laughed at by contractors and yard help.

That sounds like a personal problem...or perhaps a problem with the
places you shop.

The condescending attitude of the employees at mom & pop stores is
pretty widespread. Of course you know the lingo, can talk shop with
the good ol' boys, and spend lots and lots of money at your favorite
mom & pop, so you've never experienced it. You don't get treated the
same when you come in for a faucet washer or a can of spray paint as
you do if you come in for a truckload of lumber. I'm not asking for a
foot massage, just a little civility. I don't care if you think I'm a
waste of your time, but keep it to yourself. Smile, ring me up, and
say "thank you." Keep the sneering and grumbling to yourself.

Personally, I'd rather deal with contractors who know their business
than the staff at the borgs who were flipping hamburgers or let go
from their accounting job yesterday. I spend more time explaining how
things work to them so they can figure out if they carry what I need.
Many times I find it on my own 'cuz they don't know what they carry or
- worse yet - don't know *why* they carry it.

Me too, but I'm not a contractor or a good ol' boy, so the mom & pop
shops give me little or no consideration. At least the people at HD
and Lowes TRY to help.

It's at the "real" stores where I can toss out a general idea and get
suggestions from them on how to get it done - and I don't feel stupid,
just like I wouldn't expect them to feel stupid if they ask me for
advice related to my line of work.

I don't feel stupid. I'm MADE to feel stupid when I'm told that what I
want to do is stupid. I'm MADE to feel stupid when I get the dirty
looks and aggrivated sneers.

Wow! Based on this post and your earlier one, you must have some
pretty crappy "mom and pop" stores in your area. I wouldn't shop there
either if they treated me like you make it sound.

Lucky for me, and many others in my area, we get treated with respect
and we get help from knowledgeable staff. That must be why these
stores are still in business, even with their limited hours. That must
be why the same store names keep coming up when people ask "Where do
you get your plumbing/electrical/whatever supplies?"

Here's a perfect example: I just ordered a part from a local appliance
parts store for my washer. I'll keep going back to them every time
because of the way I, a DIY homeowner, not an appliance repair
business, get treated. A few weeks ago I troubleshot my dryer and
stopped in to order the part I thought I needed. The woman behind the
counter asked me (nicely) why I thought it was that part. When I
described the symptoms, she suggested a different - and cheaper - part
which was more likely the cause. Turns out she was right. I guess in
your part of town I would have been laughed at, sneered at, and
probably sold the wrong part so I would have to go back and buy more.
Of course, I had to pick the part up before 5 on a weekday.

BTW – this is the same store that suggested I buy a sheet of Microwave
waveguide cover material instead of the single piece cover sold by
part number for my specific oven. That has saved me both time and
money.

When I went to real window store to buy windows, the installation
process was explained to me in detail, with no laughter or sneers. The
guy even suggested that I install the first window during his work
hours so I could call him if I had any questions. "Once you do one,
you'll sail through the rest." Guess who I'm going back to when I
replace my front door in the spring?

Consider this: Maybe what you want to do *is* stupid, or maybe you're
just too sensitive. Why would anyone give you dirty looks and
aggravated sneers when you are in their place of business to spend
money? Where I live, they offer suggestions meant to help so that
you'll come back and spend more money with them. I don’t live my life
thinking that I know all the answers and I don’t mind asking for help
when I need it.

Regardless of whether it's you or your location that causes you to get
the laughs and sneers, if you're ever up in my neck of the woods I'll
take you to some locally owned businesses where they treat their
customers with respect and are willing to help you complete your
projects - because they truly care if you come back, not like the
borgs where volume is all that matters.

Gotta go now - I need to call the parts counter at a mom and pop
lighting store to see if they carry a twin-breaker to fit my panel. I
seriously doubt that they'll laugh at me.

Regardless of all the bull**** spread here if they ain't open they ain't
gonna sell anything....It really is as simple as that....

I don't shop the mom and pop stores here. The items are covered with
dust, their prices are the highest, and they close when I need them
most (Fri night, Sat afternoon, and Sundays). There used to be a
dumpy-looking woman working there years ago that seemed to know
everything, but now she's been replaced with a young good-looking
air-head valley girl. HD gets the customers, but there is a lot more
worthless junk so shop carefully.