Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E C & E is offline

Default Should I replace blown in insulation when installing attic floor?

"Mike Daniska" wrote in message
My house has an unfinished attic with a partial floor (maybe 1/8 of
the attic currently has a floor). I am quickly running out of storage
space and would like to put down some simple plywood on top of the
floor joists to serve as a floor for storage. There is currently blown
in insulation through out the attic.

Do I need to remove the blown in insulation and replace with rolled
insulation? I have heard that blown in insulation works best when it
is not compacted, and putting the plywood on top would compact it. But
I have also read some posts around the net that suggested that it was
not necessary to remove the blown in insulation.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you!

Mike

If anything you would be wanting to *add* insulation to the attice which is
the point of the greatest thermal loss. My blown-in was done by the
previous owner and on top of the glass insulation. Over the past 25 years
it has settled and I have rolled out new batts perpendicular to the joists.
Now, if I were in your situation and wanted to create storage for light
loads in my attic I would make 2x4 standoffs to a height just greater than
the insulation that you have or intend to put down in the future. I would
connect them with 2x4s and top with 3/8" CD ply. JAT
Chuck