Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] glyford@gmail.com is offline

Default Yet another 4X6 question

* * * * Aside from that -- you *do* know that the proper tension for the
blades is as tight as you can possibly turn that plastic blade
tensioning knob by hand? *Actually -- that gets the blade to the low end
of the proper tension range. *You *can't* grip it hard enough to
over-tighten the blade.

I used a strap wrench on mine, and eventually stripped the plastic
handwheel off the jack screw. I made a new handle with a crank on it,
and then ended up breaking the upper bearing block at the large axle
hole, where the cross section is the smallest. I ended up welding it
up with nickel rod and sistering a piece of 1/4" plate to it, also
welded with the nickel. I've not had a lick of trouble with that part
since, though I've now replaced the blade guide bearings and the main
gearbox bearings and seals.

If the main gearbox (drive wheel) bearings are bad (or going) it will
definitely mess with your tracking. Depending on how long they've
been bad, your main gear may also be toast due to running out of
position. There's guys on eBay selling the gear, shaft, and one of
the two bearings as a unit.

--Glenn Lyford