Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

Default ACQ lumber experience

On Jan 1, 5:33*pm, Phisherman wrote:
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 13:05:33 -0800 (PST), Red
wrote:

Two years ago I had more firewood than would fit under my shed so I
bought 2 PT 4x4x8's from Lowes, laid them on the ground, stacked the
firewood on them, and covered the wood with a tarp. *I just used the
last of the wood (all good BTW) and went to move the 4x4's. *They were
eaten up and rotted from the ground side up. Termite tunnels were
readily apparent.
Two years on the ground, not in it, and they were completely useless!
They still had the tags stapled on the ends so the staples didn't even
have time to rust off. *I knew it wouldn't last as long as the old PT
lumber, but not even 2 years??

Red

Treated lumber should last 10 years or more. * I wonder if the planks
purchased "missed" the proper treatment.

I wonder who's definition of "proper" treatment the manufacturer goes
by? Now days it is common for pressure treatment to pressure the
chemicals some depth into the surface, but not necessarily to the
center. Then the wood commonly develops cracks. If the crack extends
beyond the treated depth, there is nothing to prevent termites &
moisture/rot from getting to the untreated portion of the wood and
hollowing it out. I believe that is what caused the problem I
experienced. Bad thing is that there is no way of telling how
"properly" the lumber is treated without cutting off a portion of it.

Red