Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default Should I replace blown in insulation when installing attic floor?

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 11:51:51 -0800 (PST), Mike Daniska
wrote:

My house has an unfinished attic with a partial floor (maybe 1/8 of
the attic currently has a floor). I am quickly running out of storage
space and would like to put down some simple plywood on top of the
floor joists to serve as a floor for storage. There is currently blown
in insulation through out the attic.

Do I need to remove the blown in insulation and replace with rolled
insulation? I have heard that blown in insulation works best when it
is not compacted, and putting the plywood on top would compact it. But
I have also read some posts around the net that suggested that it was
not necessary to remove the blown in insulation.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thank you!

Mike

If you are compressing it say one inch out of eight, don't
worry. If you are compressing five inches out of ten, then I would
remove most of it that is over the level you will be putting down the
floor.

BTW adding the floor will increase the insulation a little.

Good Luck