Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Leaking cistern

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:07:00 +0000, YAPH wrote:

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 15:48:27 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

If you can't get a seal, fitting a new siphon (of a different make)
isn't very difficult, just check what size the hole in the cistern is.
Most are 1 1/2" , some are 2". I can do them in 45 mins or so.

Almost certainly 2". Last one I came across I ended up buying a couple[1]
of multikwiks from BES (p/n 19000) and fitting one of those

You'll need a new doughnut washer as well, but I don't know where to
get 2" ones - I ended up adding a ring of plumbers mait to the existing
donut to make sure it re-sealed (which it didn't - gotta go back there
sometime to fix :-()

[1] and keeping the other as a spare for the next time I have to deal with
a barsteward drop valve, which won't be long, I'm sure.

If I've identified correctly (see my earlier reply) no major dismantling
is necessary as the top part is removed without needing access to the
bottom of the lower part. The seal is then replaced simply by pulling off
the worn seal before easing the new seal over its retaining lip.

It's actually quite a good design as replacing the seal should take no
more than 5 minutes once the water has been turned off.

Cic.
Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door