Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Plastic electrical boxes.

Don Young wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
just dont' go so tight. HELL they're not going anywhere...

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message

Well, I understand your point, but I find that it is impossible to
tighten the outlets in there without crushing the drywall or bending
the ears. Your should I leave them a little loose and let the
faceplate tighten everything?

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron

You can use washers on the screws to space the devices out and still have
them tight. We used to save the washers broken off the ears for this. I saw
some folding plastic spacers for this at Loews recently.

Don Young

Not that it is likely to make a real difference, but IIRC code requires
a box extender, to eliminate the minuscule chance that a device in the
box could throw sparks into the crack and touch off flammable material.
Modern box extenders work rather well- I had to use about 4-5 of them
here cleaning up work the previous owner fubar'd. Outlets look a lot
better flush and square with the wall, etc. And switches work a lot
better when the lever sticks all the way through the slot.
--
aem sends...