Posted to sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair,alt.engineering.electrical
[email protected] do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com is offline

Default 9v battery terminal blanks?

DaveC wrote:

I want to keep some NiMH rechargeable 9v batteries in my tool bag (well, my
meter bag, actually). I am currently running a double loop of electrical tape
around the entire battery to insulate the terminals.

I'd like to use something more durable (one battery has had a terminal peek
through the tape) and was thinking about something like a battery terminal
connector but made of insulating material like nylon (probably of some
cheaper plastic).

Does such a thing exist? I did web searches, but maybe my terminology isn't
spot-on...

I used to use plastic DIP chip shipping tubes:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3200/...4213d96b_o.jpg

Cut a channel along the top to hold the batteries by their negative
terminals. For better grip, first drill holes the diameter of the
positive terminals. Plastic tubing, slit lengthwise, also works, and
the flexible type can be wrapped all around the battery for a better
grip.

Or you could glue the batteries together with double-stick tape or
silicone RTV, just enough to hold them securely but not so much that
they're hard to twist or pry apart.