Posted to misc.rural,alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Osmosis filters and septic systems

wrote:
Over the next few months we're building a new house in a rural area on
25 acres. The 410 foot well is terrific, but the water has a slight
salty taste which apparently is sodium, so we'll have an undersink
reverse osmosis filter for drinking/cooking water, with a sideline
running over to the water dispenser/icemaker in the fridge.

My problem is that RO filters produce about 8 parts waste water for
every 1 part of drinking water. This water is normally routed out to
the drain pipe, which in our case would go to the septic tank. This is
a significant amount of water; for every cup of water you drink from
the RO filter faucet, 8 cups goes down the drain.

In reality, it's a totally insignificant amount of water, but there are
kits for redirecting the waste water into your hot water system.

"http://www.wattspremier.com/watts/showdetl.cfm?&DID=15&User_ID=1797375&st=6734&st2=5 3470904&st3=-53503017&Product_ID=121&CATID=1"

It would take several hundred years to recover the cost of this kit.

Is there SOME way to reroute this RO waste water away from the septic
system? I hate to think of it all going in there.

It's good for the septic system.