Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AL A AL A is offline

Default Sanford & Sons Junk Yard

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
AL A wrote:

You are likely right Joe. This is a common Bogen/manfrotto tripod, I
can't recall the model right now, but it is not one of the very high-end
or exotic models.

But aren't we missing the whole point here? Why would I BUY a twenty
dollar part when I can spend easily two hundred dollars worth on my time
to make one on the thousands of dollars worth of machines I have in my
garage?

Ooh. Sorry to be such a kill-joy.

Joe Gwinn

Just kidding, now Joe, don't be offended. As someone who hangs around
RCM, I'm sure you understand the mentality.

That reminds me of a year or two back when I brought my car in to the
local service place for my state inspection sticker. One of the
mechanics there is a biker type, he asked me if I could make him a
couple of bushings for a bike he was building. I jotted down what he
needed, and as they were simple parts, maybe 1.25 dia with a 5/8" hole
through the middle (or something like that) I whipped two out from some
stainless scraps I had. When I went back to get my car, I gave them to
him went out to the office to pay for my inspection, and the lady told
me that the mechanic had covered it for me. I went home, pretty happy
about that, told my wife. She said "That's great. You fill your shop up
with 10 grand worth of junk, and you just saved 29 bucks on a sticker.
Shrewed operator you are..."

-Al