Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Shops - Downturn (OT)

Alan wrote:
In message , Rod
wrote

About the only real local shop we care about is a pharmacy - which is
actually in a sort of village out the other side of town.

Around my way the GP partnerships are attaching pharmacies to the
surgeries. With repeat prescriptions it is possible to get the form
collected, given to the doctor, prescription made up and delivered
without leaving ones armchair. Why would anyone want to walk into Boots
for pharmacy services?

Reason for wanting a helpful, non-GP related pharmacy? Partner is
prescribed a non-approved medicine. Getting hold of it through a helpful
independent pharmacy who also handle it for at least one other patient
was hard enough work. Doing so through a GP-controlled pharmacy (where
she would be the only person taking it) would likely not be the easiest
thing in the world.

Partner is also prescribed levothyroxine - which is normally prescribed
simply by that generic name. But many patients find that the changes
from one manufacturer's 'brand' to another upsets them (and there are
good pharmacological reasons that this might occur). So it is important
to develop a relationship with a pharmacy who will pull their finger out
to get hold of the same 'brand' each time. Some won't. At least as it
is, we can choose any pharmacy and even go to an alternate one for a
single prescription.

No - we wouldn't walk into Boots. Long queues. Slow service. Ignorant
pharmacy staff (who seemed always to be locums when I did use them a few
times).

--
Rod

onset.