Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roofs

In article ,
Alang wrote:
I've got an artificial slate roof here - it's very popular in London.
It's about 20 years old and seems to be holding up pretty well. I dunno
where they'd not be suitable as a replacement (unless a listed building
etc) - they're pretty strong.

Something to do with the load bearing properties of the roof timbers
as I recall. You need to get permission to change them anyway
according to the leaflet in the library

They're lighter than slate - and much lighter than concrete or clay tiles.
The problem used to be where people used cheaper concrete tiles to replace
slate - the roof structure sometimes couldn't take the extra weight.

Of course if the original was, say, clay tiles, you may well need
permission to change the look by going to imitation slate or whatever -
perhaps in a conservation area.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.