Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default DIY Pedestrian Crossing

In message , Andrew Gabriel
writes
In article ,
John Rumm writes:

Very nice job that man!

What sort of development/debugging environment do you use for PIC stuff
like that?

I built this using a PICAXE-28X1 Chip (which is way over-kill for
this application, but that's what I have a prototyping/programming
board for), and it's very fast/easy to program. All you need to
program it is the PICAXE-28X1 Starter Pack (and the ability to add
8 LEDs and resisters to its outputs so you can see it working), a
Windows system with a serial (or USB) port, and some spare chips.
Rapid sells all the stuff, and it's not expensive.

(There are times where I often fancy doing something on a similar scale
of complexity, but most of the traditional embedded systems kit I work
with is way OTT for that sort of application, not to mention silly money)

PICAXE is just a standard PIC chip, preprogrammed with a serial
boot loader and run-time environment, which you can use over and
over again (providing you don't trample on the boot loader), so
you don't need an expensive programmer.

I've attached the program below, so you can see how simple it is
to program.

You know what you've forgotten don't you ?

The button for pedestrians to press which just beings on the "wait"
light

--
geoff