Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default DIY Pedestrian Crossing

In message , John Rumm
writes
Frank Erskine wrote:
On 30 Dec 2008 22:53:40 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

I don't think there is still any magazine which was at the level
of Everyday Electronics, although I must admit I haven't checked
the magazine shelves for many years now. Elektor was somewhat more
advanced, and not really beginner stuff.

I wonder if there's much interest in this area by today's youth?

Sadly I think not. Most of today's youth seem to expect any
electronic
gadgetry to be prebuilt for them (probably by Far Eastern
manufacturers), and to have 'scores' displayed on an LCD screen.

Sadly I would tend to agree. You only need look at the growth of Maplin
and its need to deviate from what was once its core business in order
to sustain that growth to see that electronics as a hobby is nothing
like it once was.

(As I have commented here before - I grew up living close to the
original Maplin shop. It was a place of wonder in some respects those
days. People would wander in off the street, and describe some
electronic wizardry they fancied constructing. The shop assistant
(electronics graduate typically) would retrieve a pencil from behind
his ear, sketch a quick circuit design, grab the shop calculator and do
some sums to work out component values etc, before wandering off and
finally returning 5 mins later with a plastic bag containing all the
components required having found them in all the various (non self
service) racks and bins!) It ain't the same now.

Exactly the same with Watford Electronics

--
geoff