Posted to uk.d-i-y
sparky2 sparky2 is offline

Default Battery charger doesn't work when too cold?

On 29 Dec, 17:47, "Dave Baker" wrote:
"Piers Finlayson" wrote in message

.. .

I cracked open an el cheapo cordless power tool set at the weekend. *I put
an uncharged battery into the charger an after a few seconds the charger
indicated charging was complete. *The battery was still uncharged. *I then
tried with the other battery and got the same problem.

I tried again today, this time using the charger inside the house instead
of an unheated outbuilding. *Initially I got the same problem so rang the
service center up and they said the charger must be faulty and they'd send
a new one.

Some fast chargers measure the battery volts first and if it's zero
assume the battery is a dud and won't try to charge it. The battery
needs to be trickle charged a small amount to get the volts up then it
will fast charge.

However, after a few hours - now the charger has come up to room
temperature (from around freezing) - it seems to be working fine and
charging the batteries

Have others experienced this, or does it sound like a fault? *There's no
operating temperature in the instructions, although the charger does say
for indoor use only (and I'd claim my outbuilding is still indoors!).

Google as usual answers most problems.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-14.htm
--
Dave Baker