Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_4_] Bruce[_4_] is offline

Default Shops - Downturn (OT)

Derek Geldard wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:36:16 +0000, Bruce wrote:

You mentioned John Lewis - I snipped that bit. The reason John Lewis
staff are more motivated to help customers is that every one of them
has a share in the business. John Lewis is a Partnership and all the
"staff" are Partners. They stand to gain if the company does well.

Good and all that.

Just out of interest ...

What's there share ?

How much do they get ?

They get a salary plus an annual bonus. The bonus is a proportion of
the company's annual profit, divided out using complicated formulae
that takes into account both seniority and length of service.

Obviously, junior staff who were only there are short time get least.

I think the 2007 annual bonus, paid in March 2008, averaged something
like 20% of annual salary, which is a pretty good incentive. The 2008
bonus will be much lower because sales struggled to match the record
2007 figures and in quite a few months they fell well short.

I would imagine that John Lewis is a good company to work for. The
staff always seem genuinely pleasant and know what they are selling.

Quite the opposite of Tesco.