Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Shops - Downturn (OT)

Bruce coughed up some electrons that declared:

You mentioned John Lewis - I snipped that bit. The reason John Lewis
staff are more motivated to help customers is that every one of them
has a share in the business. John Lewis is a Partnership and all the
"staff" are Partners. They stand to gain if the company does well.

Next door neighbour is a store manager for Waitrose (part of John Lewis as
you know) and she says the same thing.

You've only got to go to Paddock Wood Waitrose or Tonbridge to see that even
the young shelf stackers and in fact all the other staff are amongst the
most articulate and helpful of any of the supermarkets - nothing seems too
much trouble - and they actually know where random product X is.

And I see the same faces for quite long periods (like years) which I don't
see in Tescos, except for a couple of career-fast-track staff and a couple
of the older ladies. To most people, it's like McDonalds - something you do
until you can find something else.

Cheers

Tim