Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek Geldard Derek Geldard is offline

Default Shops - Downturn (OT)

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:25:35 -0000, "John"
wrote:

Having ventured into the shops just before Xmas (to avoid the Dog House!), I
came away feeling they deserve their plight.
I was met with:

Assistants (M&S) talking loudly amongst themselves (complaining about their
manager) when they could have been helping me to spend more money.

Assistant in M&S unable to deal with an item as it didn't have a bar-code.
She went off to find an alternative - but failed, so I had to go.

Unable to find an assistant other than "concession staff" in Debenhams so I
came away empty handed. I was hoping to find something that my wife had seen
there earlier.

Dreary, depressing Bing Crosby songs being played.

Expensive parking

Coupled with a trip to the pub:
Wanting a pint and finding yourself behind someone ordering 6 meals with
combinations which are not set up on the till.
Getting behind someone and the debit card machine is playing up.
Standing in the "invisible" spot waiting to order.
Not wanting to interrupt the serving-kids who are chatting amongst
themselves and avoiding giving you eye-contact.
Unpolished brassware - shabby toilets - sticky tables.

I think I will shop on the internet and drink at home.

Stop it. You're twisting my melon.

Derek