Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Water Heater?

wrote:
On Dec 30, 10:26 pm, " wrote:
On Dec 30, 5:59 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"terry" wrote in message
A 20 minute shower is a tremendous use of energy (and time!).
If tank not leaking; a shame (and wasteful) to spend at least several
hundred dollars to have it replaced if it's a $20 to $40 repair
item!
Just curious, do you have a Prius or Inisght?
If the tank is 15 years or older, would you change your opinion?
My WH is 18 years old and while I have not repaired it, I have replaced
the T/P valve, drain valve, and anode. See no need to spend big $$$ to
replace it as it shows no signs of failing now that I've caught up on
the maintenance. (gas tanks seem to be far more expensive than electric
for some reason.) Plus if I get a new WH I'll save the valves that I
replaced for spare parts (actually, I'd install the ball drain valve in
the new heater before even turning it on.) No, I don't drive a hybrid.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

you are working hard to spend more on ehergy- Hide quoted text -

Agree. If I had an 18 year old gas water heater, I'd replace it just
based on age to avoid a potential disaster. If a tank lasts that
long, a new one would work out to ~$30 a year, which is a small price
compated to a flood in the middle of the night.

Also, for someone worried about the energy usage of a 20 min shower, I
would think they would want either a new higher efficiency conv tank
or tankless instead of an 18 year old one.

I wasn't the guy that was worried about the energy usage, just giving my
experiences. Right now there's not enough free cash laying around to
simply replace it; if I had a lot of cash I'd consider it, but new
clutch hydraulics for the car, new tires for the pickup, etc. have taken
precedence lately over proactive replacements of home appliances that
are still working. And I don't think that I'm "working hard..."
everything I've replaced has taken a few minutes with a pipe wrench
and/or socket/breaker bar, not a whole lot of labor involved.

nate