Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Medway tosser.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:40:30 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

wrote:
Here`s what you get for trying to help a beginner. Who was asking how
to join 3/4" copper to 22mm fittings. I used to think people were a bit
unfair on him.Well,I`m one of these people now.
He won`t know what a real merchant is as he won`t go into them to be
embarrassed when the counter guy asks what he wants as he obviously
hasn`t a clue.

Just to clear this up;

You suggested I go to a real merchant and ask for a 'green' olive. This
sounded like a wind up to me, similar to 'tartan paint' & a 'long wait'.
'Green Olive' as in something you eat or drop into a Martini.

I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that you thought it a good idea to
encourage me to go to a plumbers merchant, ask for a 'green olive' and
be ridiculed by them.

There are people around here who would go out of their way to
embarrass/denigrate others. It makes you kinda wary.

So, if there is such a thing as a 'green' olive in plumbing terms,
'green' meaning "not fully developed or perfected in growth or
condition" - IOW perhaps not properly hardened - then I publicly
apologise to you and thank you for your help.

I have only heard the phrase 'green olive' in connection with fruit.

For the record I buy all my plumbing stuff from a local independent
plumbers merchant rather than online/shed. They are featured on my web
site.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

I too have never heard of a green olive (in the context of plumbing!).

I would and have asked for 3/4" olives and got them.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk