Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Cellar/Basement

"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
what's the difference between a cellar and a basement?

The cellar here has lime mortar walls so damp can seep in
even when I've filled in the holes...

How can it be improved?

And many American homes have that superb benefit - A basement! Somewhere
for the C/H Boiler - somewhere for hobbies and storage. I would love one.
I think our dirty damp cellars of the Victorian era put us off cellars.
They could work well with decent materials and design.

I don't think you will fix it - but for a new build it should be possible to
properly 'tank' it and have proper ventilation (for the boiler). Perhaps
having it only three quarters below ground also helps.