Posted to uk.d-i-y
Invisible Man[_2_] Invisible Man[_2_] is offline

Default DIY Pedestrian Crossing

Mike Barnes wrote:
In uk.d-i-y, John Rumm wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:
On 30 Dec 2008 22:53:40 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

I don't think there is still any magazine which was at the level
of Everyday Electronics, although I must admit I haven't checked
the magazine shelves for many years now. Elektor was somewhat more
advanced, and not really beginner stuff.

I wonder if there's much interest in this area by today's youth?
Sadly I think not. Most of today's youth seem to expect any
electronic
gadgetry to be prebuilt for them (probably by Far Eastern
manufacturers), and to have 'scores' displayed on an LCD screen.

Sadly I would tend to agree. You only need look at the growth of Maplin
and its need to deviate from what was once its core business in order
to sustain that growth to see that electronics as a hobby is nothing
like it once was.

Why so sad? Today's inquisitive kids learn how to construct their own
PCs or web sites rather than their own doorbells/amplifiers/etc, but the
engagement and rewards are just the same. In my youth I'm sure there
were some old codgers around who rued the fact that we didn't make our
own resistors.

I did wind a resistor or 2. First radio I built used 2 valves and LT and
HT batteries. First FM tuner I built was on a tin plate chassis and took
forever to adjust.
Now can't even add a socket in my kitchen. Back to gripes about Part P!