Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bruce wrote:
stuart noble wrote:

It's mineral oil with a solvent so that it can be sprayed and squirted
into inaccessible places. The residue that's left when the solvent
evaporates is oil, so I can't see the problem.

The problem is that many people resent success. WD40 is a hugely
successful product, so it generates a lot of resentment.

Just shows the power of advertising and the gullibility of those who
believe it.

Or just lack of knowledge.

What percentage of the general public understand what makes a good
lubricant, rustproofer or penetrating oil? 1%?

What perncetage of the public knows what else one can choose for these
jobs?

What perncetage of the public thinks wd40 is a somehow magic product,
whose actions are impossible to duplicate with simple low cost goods
available on a lot more shelves than wd40?

Why would one choose to pay several times the price for no benefit?

This is the basic formula for all such commercially successful but
very basic products. Combine a few ingredients, market it as a wonder
solution for lots of problems, slap a high margin on it so people
think it must be wonderful, and off ya go, sales sales sales. Its
nothing to do with resentment, just a case of seeing past the hype and
knowing how to do better with more widely available ingredients for
less cost. Subject knowledge versus 'ooh, that advert sounds great.'

Similar comments apply to 3 in 1 oil, McDonald's hamburgers, Kellogg's
Corn Flakes and basically anything, anyone or any organisation that
makes a profit.

Ah. You do live on some sink estate. Kellogg's cornflakes have more
nutritional value in the cardboard packet than contents. MacDonalds are
basically rubbish. Plenty of fast food available in the UK which is better
for you and better value too.

This leads to a belief that, if you buy any one of these successful
products, you must have been short changed.

its several times the price per ml - if thats your buying policy good
luck to you. For me a higher price needs to have a justification. For
WD40 I've never heard one.

Anything which claims to do a multitude of tasks is always a compromise
compared to one optimised for a particular job.

Bruce wrote:
This leads to a belief that, if you buy any one of these successful
products, you must have been short changed.

Its many times the price per ml of alternatives that are even more
widely available. Where's the advantage? There are lots of diy
products that do a lukewarm job at premium prices, see any shopping
channel - do you recommend those too? Do you think we, ukdiy, should?
Maybe its just me, but I just cant see a reason to. IMHO ukdiy is
about how to do a good job without paying several times the cost
needlessly.

NT