Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing Machine drains into Shower

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:30:34 -0500, "Big Bubba"
wrote:

I have a washing machine and a shower in my basement. They are separated by
a wall. When the washing machine drains the water comes up the shower
drain. Most of the time it doesn't overflow and after a few minutes the
shower drains itself. Every once in a while it will overflow in the shower
and not drain at all, like yesterday. I ran a 25 foot snake down the drain
and it now acts as it always has.

I'd like for the washing machine not have water come up the shower drain.
Is it just a clog in the drain or is there something else, like poor design,
in play here?

TIA for any ideas.

BR

You may have a clogged vent. If the vent is more than 5 feet away
from the trap, you may need a revent.