Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Can I replace my own sewer pipe?

On Dec 29, 3:34*pm, Speedy Jim wrote:

snip

* *A trench, especially in sandy soil, will need shoring up
* *to prevent collapse. *Plan on what you will do in the
* *event of rain as well.

* *Do the homework; this can be a very big job.

Jim

This is the most important caveat in this whole thread. You know your
trench will be at least 4' deep and sloping downward. To proceed
without shoring is foolhardy. Even here in central Illinois, by law, a
trench in our stiff clay soil must be shored up.. A few weeks ago, one
of our local contractors with a reputation for low bids and cutting
corners got nailed $100K IIRC, for not shoring up a sewer trench and
piling the material too close to the dig (to save $$). Since you will
spend quite a bit to rent or buy shoring materials, your most sensible
option is a competent contractor. Good luck.

Joe