Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default weird carpet stain

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Dec 29, 11:12 am, Nate Nagel wrote:
Anyone have any luck getting a presumably coffee stain out of white
Berber carpet? (yeah, I know...) bought myself one of those carpet
cleaning doomajiggers after I got my bonus check, and tried it out on a
section of the carpet that'd been stained when I had a little incident
with leaving for a couple days right when the T/P valve on my water
heater decided to start leaking. That part came up perfect, amazingly
enough, so I decided to try to actually get this carpet looking decent
rather than go straight to "rip it up and start scraping up the ****ty
tile underneath" like I'd planned.

So I have this coffee-colored stain in one corner of the room. Small,
but it's a stain nonetheless. I figured it wasn't going to come up but
I ran the carpet cleaner over it and it disappeared. Set up fan to blow
over area. Next day, it's back. Tried a vinegar solution, it
disappeared again, ran the carpet cleaner over it, set up fan. Next
day, it's back. Tried a bleach solution. Ran carpet cleaner over it.
It's drying now, but based on previous experience, I'm guessing it will
show up again once it's dry.

Any ideas? Also, how can a brown stain on white carpet disappear
seemingly as soon as water hits it, but come right back again once it's dry?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Have you tried wetting the area and then using a shop vac to suck out
the moisture? Wash...Rinse...Repeat as required.

Maybe your machine doesn't have enough suction to really suck the
"stain" from down deep enough, but a shop vac might.

well I think I finally got it, I did something I probably wasn't
supposed to do but it worked. I took the carpet cleaner machine and
filled the water tank with a vinegar solution, then ran it back and
forth over the spot until the tank was empty. Then I rinsed the machine
well and filled it with clear hot water and repeated. I did that this
AM and it's been drying all day and actually looks surprisingly good.
At some point I'll probably do a quickie shampoo of the whole downstairs
(save for what is under bookcases etc. and therefore gets no foot
traffic) and that will be the end of that.

nate

nate