Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia Jeff Wisnia is offline

Default Washing Machine drains into Shower

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Dec 30, 11:16 am, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

hr(bob) wrote:

On Dec 29, 5:36 pm, "JohnR66" wrote:

I'm not arguing...I'm just curious...

How would venting - or lack thereof - cause this problem?

Try this.. Take a liter pop bottle and fill with water. Hold it upside down
and note how fast the water drains. Next, fill it again, cap it, turn it
upside down and drill some air holes in the highest point. Uncap it and
notice how much faster it drains with the vent holes.

This applies to plumbing as well. I have the same problem with my washer and
sink. The washer forces alot a water under pressure in the unvented drain
line and it backs up into the sink due to slow draining.

He already has a vent, the basement shower opening.

I agree....

AFAIK the purpose of venting is to "break the vacuum" which can suck a
trap dry, leaving a path open for sewer gases to enter the property.

I think his problem is just a "slow" drain which can't handle the full
flow from the washer.

He might try this simple solution:

Take a small woodworker's clamp and put it on the washer drain hose,
squeezing it down enough to restrict the discharge flow rate until water
stops backing up into the shower. It will take a bit longer to drain the
washer, but shouldn't damage anything.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

restrict the discharge flow rate until water stops backing up into
the shower

Might work...might not.

My washer drains into the utility tub. I use one of these to catch the
lint:

http://www.agindustrialsupply.com//(...x?sku=10603639

Or:

http://tinyurl.com/9behve

Boy, those sure look like Vatican approved condums, don't they?

If it gets too clogged it causes back-pressure and the machine doesn't
pump the water out. I think it's a "protection mechanism" so the pump
doesn't burn itself out.

If he clamps the hose too much, the washer might not drain at all.

Could be, I've only used that trick once myself years ago and it worked
for me. The washing machines then probably wern't as smart about things
like drain backpressure as they have become lately.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)