Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark Mark is offline

Default Cherry trim staining

Greetings All,
I'm hoping to use cherry for casings on my doors and windows along with the
baseboard. We have cherry kitchen cabinets, matching flooring, so a little
continuity woud be nice. I realize this will be costly, having just come
from a hardwood supplier. I like the style of trim that I saw in one of the
home improvement mags a few years ago and would like to do the same here. My
first question is since the windows are made from pine and the jambs are
white pine, is it realistic to try staining the windows to match the cherry
trim? I know how unevenly pine takes stain, although wood conditioner does
help somewhat. What do others do when working with different species that
need to lok as similar as possible? Would a gel type stain work better with
these porous woods?

Secondly, to do this project, I will need a fair amount of 3/4 x 3 1/2
cherry. The supplier had a lot of 4/4 x 6, which would cause me to make a
lot of scrap. If I could buy 4/4 x 4, that would be ideal. Is looking into
online lumber suppliers worthwhile? I guess the downside is not being able
to screen the boards beforehand. Are the prices this way cheap enough to
offset the high scrap? Hope this makes sense.... TIA, Mark