Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roofs

In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
I don't understand why it isn't possible to make roofs cheaply, using
board materials instead of tiles or glass fibre. It's possible to make
boats waterproof, with appropriate sealing materials and pain, so why
not roofs, which have to deal with a lot less water?

It would be convenient and cheap to put large plywood boards on a roof,
make sure that there's some kind of overlap or flexible seal where their
edges meet, and finish them with thoroughly waterproof paint.

I'd not fancy having to paint a roof every other year. A well made slate
etc roof can have a life of 100 years or so with little to no maintenance.

And the cost of replacing a roof tends to be mostly labour rather than
materials - so I doubt a wood one would be that much cheaper.

--
*Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.