Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default Home Depot vs. "Real whatever store"

On Dec 30, 11:53*am, willshak wrote:
on 12/30/2008 11:23 AM (ET) wrote the following:
What staffing is there to afford? Mom and Pop work for free.

Really? Do they get their living expenses and profit from welfare or
something?
No wonder they are going out of business.

Mom and Pop own the Mom and Pop business, Einstein. They don't draw a
salary or pay themselves hourly wages. Profit from the store pays
their living expenses.

Because they don't draw a salary or pay themselves hourly wages, it
doesn't cost them a bit more to "staff" the store until 7PM as it does
to "staff" it only until 5PM.

The local Mom & Pop appliance store doesn't seem to have a problem
being open until 8:30PM on weeknights or until 6PM on Saturdays... I
needed a new clothes dryer because the 25-year-old one in my house
blew up Sunday night. It was great walking in there at 8PM, picking
out a dryer, and supporting a local business. The sales staff is a
little "old school" and dry on personality, but they didn't look down
their noses at me or give me crap for showing up so close to closing
time or call me stupid for choosing the wrong dryer. It's a rare case
of a local business doing the right things to stay competitive, and
it's working for them.