Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Can I replace my own sewer pipe?

wrote:
On Dec 30, 8:10?am, "HeyBub" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I'm wondering what it would take to replace the section of sewer
pipe from my house to the right of way. We have very sandy soil and
no trees in the front yard to be concerned with. I'm thinking it's
about a 30' foot run, but I don't know how deep it is. I'm in
western NY about a mile south of Lake Ontario. The town has already
replaced their section of the sewer with PVC and I'd like to do the
same with mine.

Is this something I could do with a couple of shovels, some help
and a lot of time or is heavy equipment absolutely required?

There might be an alternative not yet mentioned:

It is sometimes possible to insert a liner into an existing drain.
The liner is made of stuff impervious to tree roots and it won't
ever crack. Here's an example of a firm that does that sort of thing:

http://www.craftsmanpipelining.com/?...FRIMDQodeEG-Cg

it tends to cost as much as a dig and replace fix, but does save
landscaping and the utter mess of a new line digging.

my neighbor is getting a new sewer line currently yard is piles of
dirt, excavator, a true mess very sad

About a year ago the city replaced the main sewer line serving my street.
The old sewer line was 8" concrete - the new is 10" plastic (of some kind).
What's fascinating was the way they did it.

Starting at one end, they POUNDED the new pipe THROUGH the old pipe,
fracturing the old pipe as they went! All day long THUD..... THUD.... THUD.

Eventually the plastic probe reached the end of the block.

Then they came along with an itty-bitty back hoe, dug up all the connections
in people's yards and connected the individual houses to the new plastic
pipe. They filled in the holes, placed sod over the mess, repaired the
fence, and moved on.

Ain't technology grand?